On our day to day lives, we have never paid heed to the usage of magnets. We often attribute it to the fridge magnets or jewelry clasps but they are much more than that. Even our earth itself works like a large magnet. So, it is crucial to know about the magnets and their usefulness in our lives. One of the most used magnets in the current day is the Neodymium magnet. Let us know about its usage in a little more detail.
What is the Neodymium magnet?
Most of us would have heard about the rare earth magnets as they are the most powerful permanent magnets that have been developed. The Neodymium magnet also falls under this category and it was produced in 1982 by General Motors. The rare earth mineral Neodymium has ferromagnetic properties in it that help it transform into a magnet. The magnet is made using an alloy of Neodymium, Iron, and Boron. It has the strongest magnetic field among any permanent magnet and it is 18 times more than that of a normal magnet.
- Hard Disk Drivers: The hard disks of our computers are important for storing all the memories of the work that we do on the device. The neodymium magnet strips are present in the hard disk which helps in reading and writing of these data.
- Speakers and Headphones: One of the most noted places of usage for the Neodymium Magnets are in speakers and headphones. The permanent magnets used in the devices help in the conversion of the electrical energy into mechanical energy which helps in creating the sound that comes out of the device. It is also used in microphones for a similar purpose.
- MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging: We know the importance of MRI scans on several medical conditions. A strong magnet such as the neodymium magnet makes the process possible by affecting the electrons of the atoms present in our body. This helps in clicking clear diagnostic pictures of the desired area.
- Generators and Motors: Magnets have an important part to play in these devices as well. The permanent magnets help in converting the electrical energy to mechanical energy which helps in the working process of the device.
- Lifting Loads: It isn’t an unusual thing to think of and it is definitely used in industries to lift heavy loads. Being a powerful magnet the neodymium does a great job in the field.
- Jewelry: People often want to use clasps that are hassle-free. So, small Neodymium magnets help in attaching chains. They also help one to adorn fake piercings by holding them against the skin through the magnetic properties.
- Door Catches: No one wants to get hit by an unwanted door. That is the reason for using magnetic door catches which efficiently catch the door and are easy to separate as well.
So, here are some important uses of the Neodymium magnet. It is being widely used in different fields and more work is being done to test its other capabilities. We may soon hope to see it in a lot more things.